After 16 years of continuous growth for our glass bottled teas, we had lots of internal debates about whether we should try to update the line. Even though our beverages are the top-selling bottled tea line in the natural foods channel, we took a deep breath, and decided to challenge ourselves on the ingredients, the label art, and even the impact of the mission.
So consider this your invite to joining us in celebrating a major milestone by transitioning organic sugar in the sweetened teas over to Fair Trade Certified™ organic sugar. It’s a big step in terms of furthering the Honest Tea mission, and the Fair Trade Certified logo now reflects the use of both tea & sugar ingredients in your favorite glass bottled tea. We’ve also joined 1% for the Planet, committing to donate the equivalent of at least one percent of sales from our tea line in 16 oz. glass bottles to organizations within the 1% For the Planet network.
You’ll also notice our “refreshed” look. The answer came in the form of art—specifically, the realism that springs to life in oil paintings. Our design team collaborated with a creative oil painter who understood both our excitement and hesitations in making this project a reality. She was tasked with the challenge of artfully communicating our principles—honesty, transparency, whimsy, and ingredients you can feel good about—from concept to reality
Using images of artwork we have around our office from past trips to the tea gardens, the oil painter brought to life the personality of each tea according to its origin and unique story. Each painting was then translated from paint, to canvas, to bottle by our talented in-house graphics team, making sure the final result stayed true to our roots. The new images are centered in the middle of our iconic “T” shape, so you’ll still be able to recognize Honest beverages on store shelves.
Labels aren’t the only thing new around here, meet brand new Radiant Raspberry! This refreshing iced tea is brewed with organic, Fair Trade Certified™ black tea leaves, raspberry juice, and blackberry leaves for perfect just a tad sweet sipping! Think ripe raspberries meeting smooth black tea leaves that will keep you basking in the glow of summer all year long. Grab a bottle at your local natural food store or the natural food aisle of your favorite grocery store, and enjoy!
Ever wished you knew the secret to making the perfect Honest® Tea? Or perhaps you wanted to be the creator of a delicious brew like Just Green Tea or Just Black Iced Tea? After 16 years of tea brewing experience, here’s your chance to become the expert. Introducing exclusive Honest Tea, now in Keurig® K-Cup® packs! It’s the same organic, Fair Trade Certified™ ingredients you love, just with a new, convenient brew master—you!
This new line of K-Cup® packs (the first ever organic, iced teas for Keurig® brewers) comes in a couple of your favorite classic varieties: Just Black and Just Green Iced Teas. Two traditional teas with endless possibilities. And why do we love them in a Keurig® brewer? Let us count the ways:
1. There’s beauty in simplicity: All you need is a non-glass cup, ice, and the press of a button. It doesn’t get much easier than that to enjoy your favorite organic and Fair Trade Certified™ tea!
2. No need to leave home: You get a fresh brew fast (in under a minute, to be exact). For those Saturday afternoons with a good book and a brewed iced tea—K-Cup® packs were made for moments like this. Of course Monday morning always comes around quickly—no need to worry, you can brew directly into your tumbler and head out the door!
3. Freshly-brewed on your schedule: Personally select your tea strength, whether it is the stronger 6 oz. option or a lighter 8 oz. variety, and sip with zero-calorie satisfaction.
So, are you ready to brew? Pick up your brand new Honest® Tea K-Cup® packs, available exclusively online at www.keurig.com/shop/special-events/honest-tea. Get the brewing party started!
Video Posted on Updated on
Sometimes it’s just nice to know where your food comes from, and that the people involved are treated fairly and paid a fair wage.
Our enthusiasm for Fair Trade Certified™ tea leaves and herbs goes back to 2003, when we made Peach Oo-La-Long the first Fair Trade Certified bottled tea, and now all of our teas are fair trade. We’re thrilled to incorporate organic, fair trade cane sugar into our new line of Summer Refreshers, available at Whole Foods Market.
To learn more about the source of our fair trade sugar, our co-founder and TeaEO Seth recently traveled to Paraguay to meet farmers who grow organic and fair trade sugar cane. Check out a short video from his trip below; but first, here are 5 reasons we love organic, Fair Trade certified sugar and hope you do too.
1. The cane sugar we source in our Summer Refresher Beverages is both USDA organic and Fair Trade Certified. The fair trade means that when you purchase a lemonade, limeade or Half & Half Lemonade at Whole Foods Market, you are helping fund development projects in communities where fair trade sugar cane is grown. These programs include renovating local schools, increasing access to healthcare or boosting wages.
2. Most sugar farms in Paraguay are small and family-owned. As a result, sugar cane must be processed offsite and within 24 hours of harvesting. Thanks to fair trade premiums, farmers have purchased new equipment which facilitates the ease of transport and boosts overall quality. It has also united farmers, helping them negotiate prices and reach out to more buyers.
3. The C.O.R.A. co-operative we purchase sugar cane from chooses to “green cut” the sugar cane; the stalks are cut by hand, without spraying or burning. The leaves and tops of the sugar cane are left in the field as a nutrient source for soil as well as natural weed control.
4. To control pests, the farmers use natural techniques such as breeding tiny wasps to sting crop-damaging cane worms. The wasps kill the worms by planting their larvae in the worms.
5. Leftover cane (called bagasse) is used to fuel generators that power the mills and surrounding villages.
We hope that when you see “Fair Trade” on the label, you’ll understand there is a closer connection to the components of ecosystem and to the final product. Now that is a just a tad sweet story indeed!
Summer is almost here! To celebrate, we’ve brewed up a few new lemonades, a limeade, and a Half & Half that will keep you cool when the sun is hot. A lot of sunshine, a squeeze of citrus, and a touch of organic Fair Trade Certified™ sugar went into each of these new flavors. Try pairing them with a family BBQ, during playtime at the park, or after an exhilarating ride on the trail. Our NEW line of organic Summer Refreshers are available in 32 oz. glass containers in five varieties:
- Original Lemonade: A classic lemonade made the ‘Honest’ way
- Mango Lemonade: Our tropical take on lemonade using mango puree
- Berry Hibiscus Lemonade: Sweet & tart lemonade with yumberry, raspberry & brewed hibiscus
- Mint Limeade: A mix of tart limes, sugar, and refreshing spearmint flavor
- Half & Half Lemonade & Tea: A more traditional combination of lemonade & black tea
At 70 calories per 8 oz serving, they’ll be available in 32 oz glass bottles exclusively at Whole Foods Market locations throughout the summer. Grab a chilled bottle and head outside with friends and family—we’ll keep you refreshed!